Did you know that Lyme Disease and Mold Toxicity have just about the same symptoms? Both are biotoxins. I was doing research and came across a great article that explains everything perfectly.
About 3 weeks ago, I found out that I indeed also have Chronic Lyme Disease. That sure explains the missing link. I know i'm very, very ill from the toxic mold, but there were questions about my health before that and now, I know why. Did you know that you don't have to be bit by a tick to contract Lyme disease? Many Lyme literate doctors believe that Lyme Disease is carried by other insects as well, including but not limited to, jumping fleas and mosquitoes. It is also possible to be born with Lyme Disease, as it can be passed through the womb.
Lyme disease is much more common now than you would think. It's often mis-diagnosed and the right tests are not run, as some doctors do not believe it can be a possiblity in certain states. However, seeing as you can contract it other ways than a tick, doctors should be more proactive. The 2 main blood tests done for Lyme, the Western Blog and Elisa are notoriously not reliable and often get false negatives. The CD-57 is a lab test that is typically covered by inurance that is commonly used by Lyme literate doctors. This is how my Chronic Lyme Disease was found. Normal, healthy people should have a CD-27 number of 200. Mine is 57, anything below 60 is a positive for Chronic Lyme Disease. However, many doctors will say anything less than 100 is a positive for Lyme period.
Regarding mold toxicity, why is it that some people are just fine around it and others, like me, become deathly ill? This article caps the reason nicely. Here is how Dr.Richard Loyd explains it in his article (mentioned above) on Mold and Lyme Toxins,
"When these spores with their neurotoxins are inhaled, about 76% of the population can
make antibodies to the toxins and quickly eliminate them. They may sneeze, have a sore
throat or have other minor symptoms, but symptoms are temporary. If they spend several
days in a moldy building, they may begin to feel sick, but when they are away for a few
days they recover.
About 24% of the population have a genetic makeup that makes them unable to produce
the needed antibodies for mold toxins. The body simply does not adequately tag the
toxins as invaders and it does not eliminate them. The liver can send them to the digestive
tract via the bile, but they are quickly reabsorbed back into the blood. The result is that
continual or repeated exposures to mold toxins results in an ever increasing amount of
these toxins in the body. Those who can actually smell musty odors where they live or
work usually have the worst mold toxin problems. It is estimated that 10 million
American children are being exposed to mold toxins (many are medicated with "Ritalin"
as a result) and around 25 million Americans have some degree of mold toxin illness.
It is also common to have a genetic makeup that does not detoxify Lyme toxins and many
cannot detoxify either mold or Lyme toxins. If they have Lyme disease, Lyme toxins also build up in the body. These are the people that get very sick and stay sick when they do
frequency treatments for Lyme. FOR THOSE WHO GET MAJOR PROLONGED DIE OFF REACTIONS, FREQUENCY TREATMENTS FOR LYME ARE NOT
RECOMMENDED UNTIL THE TOXIN ISSUE IS ADDRESSED.
These mold and Lyme toxins attach to fat cells and cause the fat cells to continually
release inflammatory cytokines. The result is chronic inflammation with symptoms such person has the flu, symptoms are not caused directly by the viruses. The symptoms are as fatigue, pain, brain fog, out of control weight gain and loss of sex drive. The symptoms are caused by the resulting cytokines. Mold and Lyme toxins can cause symptoms similar to a permanent case of flu. An inflammatory reaction is very useful to help deal with an infection. It is devastating when it goes on and on."
In a previous blog entry, I went over the importance of the genetic factor and the role that plays. So, simply put, in my case, my HLA genotype is mold succeptible and post lyme syndrome. It reads like this: 3(17), 2, 52A ; 15, 6, 51. I inherited one set from my mom and one set from my dad. One of my parents is mold succeptible, and one of them is post Lyme susceptible. The first set of my genes, the 3(17), 2 is the mold succeptible gene. The 15, 6, 51 is the post Lyme susceptible.
This means that I am one of the 25% that cannot release the toxins from toxic mold. Not only that, but the biotoxins from the chronic Lyme Disease as well. It will be years of fighting to get well ahead of me. My chronic Lyme will more than likely not respond to antibiotics. I will have to do major detoxing with clean air, food, water, and especially, enviornment. I will have major die off reactions, which will literally make me feel like I am dying. I have experienced a window of that and had to back off on the process, as it was too much to bear at the time.
I hope to one day test my children for their genotype and see what they are. I do not know what genes my husband carries. Knowing some of my children have my genes is even more reason to get into the most healthy enviornment possible to start the long journey of recovery.
Here is a good blog for info on the symptoms of Lyme and how Mold toxicity and Lyme symptoms go hand in hand. I will be working on a post to go up within week or so that will go over how to get this genetic blood test done and treatment options for mold and lyme.